Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 1996 18:44:39 +500
From:      "Ron Weaver" <weaverro@erinet.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Install Help Needed

Dear Questions,

I'm having a *small* problem installing FreeBSD and could use a
suggestion or three. I am attempting to install 2.1, and am having
what I see as boot sector problems. I get "missing Operating System"
when I boot.

What I got :
    new Zeos Pantera 133 (yes!)   16 meg ram
    2 WD31600 (1,6 gig) drives
    CDrom, Diamond Stealth 3400, Creative labs AWE32, Colorado T1000
    28.8 modem, WIN95 (pre- and re- installed ;-| )

What I FTP'd :
    the entire Release 2.1 (is there another digit?) from FREEBSD.
It ran just over 24 hours at 28.8 ... 300+ meg ... ugh, but I got it.

How I partitioned :
   I partitioned the D drive for 775 meg for DOS, left the rest
unused, presumably for FREEBSD. seemed to work.

How it went:
  Ran rawrite and made a boot disk. Booted it and entered the setup.
The first time I selected "Leave my boot sector alone". Allocated all
free space on D to FreeBSD. Chose Auto in the Label Utility.
Received messages that the filesystems could not be built.

Rebooted, chose "Standard Boot Sector". Built a lotta stuff in the
filesystems. Upon Reboot (no Floppy), got "missing Operating System".
In a stroke of genius (for me), I ran fdisk, made my C: Dos partion
ACTIVE, and life was good again (as far as Win 95 is concerned).

Booted the floppy again. Chose Gimme the "Boot Manager". Same result.
Read everything I could find (really). Still Stumped. I'd really like
to leave the boot sector alone, and boot a floppy with *my* kernal
when I want FreeBSD (probably safer) since I'll be running both,
FreeBSD 20%  of the time, Win95 80% (untill I get comfortable I
suppose). What should I do ?

Thanks in advance for any help. Telling me where to find my answer is
a good answer (in case this is a real dumb problem).

Ron Weaver

     Everyone needs something to believe in.
        I believe I'll have another beer.