Date:      Wed, 9 Sep 1998 02:38:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Robert Swindells <swindellsr@genrad.co.uk>
To:        gback@cs.utah.edu
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Daemonising a Java Process: Possible?

>> I am currently looking at taking the JIT from Kaffe-0.9.2 and building it
>> into a shared library that will load into our JDK.
>>
>> The reason for picking 0.9.2 is that it was the last version released
>> under a BSD style licence, so we would be able to just release the
>> binary for it.
>>

>Who is "we", if I may ask?  The FreeBSD porters of Sun's JDK?

Yes.

>If so, why a binary-only release?  Is that your decision or would that
>result from the licensing restrictions Sun puts on your port?

It just seemed safer not to be forced to release the source. It avoids
giving Transvirtual any legal problems if Sun felt that the port gave
away information about the internals of the JVM.

I was considering it to be "our" port anyway. The source could get
added to the JDK CVS repository.

>>From my knowledge of the history of Kaffe's licenses, this would
>>appear to be the kind of behavior that led Transvirtual to using
>>the (more restrictive) GPL in the first place.

I was always intending to offer the source back to Transvirtual.

>Also, I must agree with Archie here.  The actual legal document does
>not talk about "never seen Sun's code."  It is, however, true, that
>none of Sun's code is looked at while developing Kaffe code.  Not
>being a lawyer, that seems a wise course of action to me.  Do you
>feel that the latter restriction should be lifted?

The Kaffe docs described it as a clean-room implementation, that
implies "never seen Sun's code" to me.

Robert Swindells