Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2001 23:48:46 -0700
From:      steve@Watt.COM (Steve Watt)
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sendmail rantlet

Greetings!

I appear to be somewhat confused about the expected way to maintain
a sendmail configuration.  I very carefully created a file named
/etc/mail/`hostname`.mc, configured it 'til it was "just so", and then
did the expected make in /etc/mail.

Some weeks later, I decide it's time to re-STABLEize myself, so I do
the usual build/install/mergemaster cycle.  Mergemaster said it wanted
to mess with sendmail.cf, and I told it not to.

I was rather astonished to discover that the installworld had overwritten
my lovingly crafted `hostname`.mc with a copy of freebsd.mc.  That seems
(to me) to be almost as rude, or possibly more so, as overwriting rc.conf
or passwd during the installworld rather than allowing mergemaster to do
its job.

Am I missing the point of the `hostname`.mc -> `hostname`.cf rule in
the /etc/mail/Makefile, or is something seriously violating POLA?

--
Steve Watt KD6GGD  PP-ASEL-IA          ICBM: 121W 56' 57.8" / 37N 20' 14.9"
 Internet: steve @ Watt.COM                         Whois: SW32