Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 1996 19:26:56 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Leaving OS at 1.1.5.1 (was Re: BSDvs Lxxxxx Flame.. )

On Sun, 21 Jan 1996, J Wunsch wrote:

> As Gary Roberts wrote:
> >
> > J Wunsch writes:
> >
> > > No, this machine is still on 1.1.5.1.  And will remain so, i think.
> >
> > May I ask why, in particular?
>
> It basically boils down to: ``Never change a running system''.
>
> Ahh, netcrap.  It's a known VM hog.  You're suffering from the
> infamous ``swap leak''.  I think there has been a workaround for it in
> 1.1.5.1, but it looks like it doesn't help for you.  The problem has
> been eliminated in FreeBSD 2 by the VM gurus, so upgrading might be a
> real chance for you.

FreeBSD 2.1 runs really smart. Even FreeBSD-current runs very
very good (I really have to say), with some small exceptions.
Go for it ! If you need stability over all, then install 2.1
and update via sup using the freebsd-stable supfile ...

If you like to have the newest and finest things ...
Then get -current. I'm very happy with it now ...
Although I'm really missing a backup device *sigh*.

BTW: the above mentioned rule of thumb "Never touch..." is
     also true for -current :-)) But ..... I never learn ;-))

--
andreas@knobel.gun.de       /\/\___  Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH
   Andreas Klemm        ___/\/\/       - Support Unix - aklemm@wup.de -