Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 1996 13:39:04 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        rb@gid.co.uk (Bob Bishop)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, proff@iq.org, security@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vulnerability in new pw suite

> There are something over 10^14 usable 8 character passwords. Of these,
> maybe 10^5 are in dictionaries, and maybe another 100 'guessables' per user
> could be found easily by trawling the user's home directory and points
> south. Throw in a few more (SO's name, phone number and the like) and maybe
> you can get up to c. 2 x 10^5 passwords per user that are unsafe. That
> still leaves comfortably over 10^14 comparatively safe 8 character
> passwords.
>
> So there isn't actually a problem, it's just that those pesky users will
> insist on picking passwords from the unsafe set. They use lame excuses like
> "I cant remember %bSx48&J".

Heh.

Please define "unsafe" in the context of a functional (inaccessible for
pre-salt-based attacks) shadow password system.

8-) 8-).

I'm tired of having passwd not let me use whatever password I want,
considering that with a shadow file, the user will have to brute-force
it through /bin/login or equivalent.  It seems the harder it becomes to
see my post-encryption password, the more anal the passwd command
becomes about making post-encryption passwords "safe" from attacks
which are impossible to institute unless root has been compromised.

Just my opinion about anal passwd programs...

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---