Date:      Sun, 25 Jan 1998 20:37:50 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why not CVS server support ?

On Sun, Jan 25, 1998 at 12:32:29PM -0700, Nate Williams wrote:
> > > Hi !
> > >
> > > Why don't we support cvs server in the base OS ?
> >
> > (I assume you mean the cvs pserver mode?) Why would we want to?
>
> And what gives you the impression we don't support it?

Andreas' mail ;-) I wouldn't have paid much attention if somebody
disabled it (as it is dysfunctional and a security hole), so I assumed that was what he was talking about.

> > pserver mode has had a few security violations in the past, and it
> > wouldn't surprise me if has been turned of for that reason.
>
> It takes a bit of work to make pserver mode secure, and those security
> precautions simply weren't taken since the remote CVS stuff doesn't work
> well enough to use it on a regular basis.

The only way I've seen of making it _fairly_ secure is to run it in a
chroot()ed environement.  With the number of other security problems
it has had (allowing remote execution), I wouldn't consider that
secure, either - any kernel security hole that can be exploited by a
user program could still be abused.

Read-only access in a chroot()ed environement is supposed to be fairly
secure, but I still wouldn't trust it.

Eivind.