Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2001 20:25:19 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Steffen Beyer <sb@engelschall.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Running netscape causes "libXt.so.6 bad magic number" error message

On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 07:59:37PM +0200, Steffen Beyer wrote:
> Can please someone tell me what the solution to this problem is?
> (Looks like others had it before and found the answer)
>
> I'm using FreeBSD 4.1.1-RELEASE and whenever I run netscape, I
> get the following error message:
>
> [sb@oxumare]~>netscape
> /usr/libexec/ld.so: warning: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6: minor version -1 older than expected 0, using it anyway
> ld.so failed: bad magic number in "/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6"
> [sb@oxumare]~>
>
> I found a discussion on the taiwanese FreeBSD mailing list about this
> topic via Google but I can't read the answers because they are in a
> different character set (which I can't read) and probably in Chinese
> anyway (which I can read even less :-) )!
>
> Therefore please reply in English (or German or French or Dutch or
> Spanish or Portuguese) and in ISO-Latin-1!
>
> Aside from the above, searches via Google and www.freebsd.org have
> been in vain so far.
>
> Thanks a lot in advance for your invaluable help!!!

The FreeBSD versions of Netscape are compiled on an older version of
FreeBSD and requires shared libraries in the aout format.
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6 is in the newer ELF format.

What apparently happens is that Netscape can't find the correct
library and therefore tries /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6 which is not
in the correct format and therefore doesn't work.

The solution is to install the required libraries. :-)
The easiest way of doing that is to install the
x11/XFree86-aoutlibs port.

If that is already installed you will have to check the correct
directories are searched. See ldconfig(8) for details.

(I have actually never seen the above error message so the above is
mainly guesswork but I am fairly sure that it is correct. :-) )

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson