Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2000 23:48:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ken Bolingbroke <hacker@bolingbroke.com>
To:        Freebsd Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   sysinstall fsck hangs system?

I have a 2.2.8-R system I'm trying to upgrade to 3.4-R.  I downloaded the
boot floppies off ftp.freebsd.org from the 3.4-R floppies directory, and
booted off those, then selected the Upgrade option at the appropriate
point.  After asking me to label my slices, it does a fsck on the root
slice /dev/rwd0s1a, then a 'fsck -y /dev/rwd1s1g' which goes through fine,
then a 'fsck -y /dev/rwd0s1e' and at this point, all disk activity stops
and it just hangs indefinitely.  From looking on the other virtual console
(ALT-F2), I see it stopped at:

 ** /dev/rwd0s1e
 ** Last Mounted on /usr
 ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
 ** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames

On either console, CTRL-C is unresponsive, even ALT-CTRL-DEL doesn't do
anything.  If I reboot back into 2.2.8 single-user mode, I can fsck that
slice just fine, no problems.  But the 3.4 sysinstall hangs up on it every
time.  Is there anyway to tell sysinstall's Upgrade option to skip the
fsck, or to fix it?

On another note, when downloading the floppies, I see a subdirectory,
/updates/, that contains a slightly more recent version of mfsroot.flp.  I
tried both, but noticed no difference.  What's up with that?

 ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/3.4-RELEASE/floppies/updates

Ken Bolingbroke
hacker@bolingbroke.com