Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 2002 12:14:19 -0400
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@unixdaemons.com>
To:        "Stephane E. Potvin" <sepotvin@videotron.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Jeffrey Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net>
Subject:   Re: ARM Port: Help with UMA subsystem needed

On Sat, Aug 03, 2002 at 11:07:11AM -0400, Stephane E. Potvin wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 08:05:12PM -0400, Stephane E. Potvin wrote:
> > I've been busy trying to bring the port back in sync with current.
> > Now, each time I start my NetWinder, I get the following panic which
> > I don't seem able to track the source. I would greatly appreciate if
> > anybody knowledgeable with the UMA subsystem could give me a hint on
> > what could be causing this.
> >

> I just found out that reverting this commit fixes the problem. Any
> ideas about why other arches don't encouter the problem?
>
> jeff        2002/06/19 13:49:44 PDT
>
>   Modified files:
>     sys/vm               uma.h uma_core.c
>   Log:
>   - Remove bogus use of kmem_alloc that was inherited from the old zone
>     allocator.

   This looks like the problem, or at least that which uncovers the
   problem.  The pmap code is calling the zone allocator as well and
   what happens is that you recurse on the kmem_map lockmgr lock because
   you allocate recursively from kmem_map.  Previously, we could also
   allocate from kernel_map, if the kernel_map lockmgr lock wasn't held,
   so this way if we had a recursive call we would get around this
   problem.  I think this whole thing is flaky in general (if this was
   the way to get around recursion, we should fix it).

   JHB and/or JeffR: why is the kmem_map lockmgr lock not recursive?

Regards,
--
Bosko Milekic * bmilekic@unixdaemons.com * bmilekic@FreeBSD.org