Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 1995 11:25:57 -0800
From:      "Scott MacFiggen" <smf@pdm.kla.com>
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with mail reception

> From: Piero Serini <piero@strider.ibenet.it>
> Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 16:00:34 +0100 (MET)
> Subject: Re: Problems with mail reception
>
> > Many people does not use m4 at all to configure sendmail. Of course, it is
>
> Wrong!  Sendmail  is configured that way. I do know tat you tweak
> an existant sendmail.cf file, but the *correct* way to do  it  is
> to use the cf/ tree.

There is more then 1 correct way. If you are a super hacker, you could write a
sendmail.cf by hand. Or you could use the m4 macros or you could use the EASE
package or...

> > generally perfectly adequate to use the MASQUERADE_AS macro, but it likely
> > does no more than putting a DM symbol definition in the .cf file. This is
>
> Wrong!!!!!  Many  rewriting  rules  change  if you masquerade!!!!
> Configure a sendmail in the right way, i.e. use m4 and  then  use
> diff to see it yourself.

Incorrect. The rewriting rules are the same. The rules will test if a certain
class or macro is defined, if it is, the rule will be executed, if not it moves
on to the next one. There is absolutley no reason why you can't add the DM
macro by hand. Or any other macro or class.

> > essentially the same as above, but hides it somewhat. I do not see a clear
> > advantage, and it is not advisable to use the m4 approach if their .cf
> > file is locally customized without m4. One first needs at least to see the
> > file to decide.
>
> Wrong! Any customization can be done in the .mc file, and this
> is the right way to do it.

You are correct in saying any customization can be done using the m4 package
but it isn't the only right way to do it and I find it easier to add some
things to the .cf file afterwards like local rulesets (Ruleset 98 for example).

> > Your method is only one approach, not the only one as you imply.
>
> Wrong! Using m4 is the only *correct* approach.

Wrong.

	-Scott

+  Scott MacFiggen                        Taos Mountain Software Contracter  +
+  Former CSUA Vice-President                              SGI System Admin  +
+  smurf@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU                                  smf@pdm.kla.com  +