Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 1995 12:42:36 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        binhdo@cs.ubc.ca (Binh Do)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie's questions: boot, xvidtune

Binh Do stands accused of saying:
>2/ When I start X by startx > & startx.log I saw 'this is version 2.05' in the
>log file? Why is that?

Because something is version 2.05.  It is the nature of programs to have
versions, and it is the nature of versions to progress numerically such
that a program after version 2.04 may be 2.05.  Somewhere in your system,
you have such a program, and on invoking startx, said program, as is its
nature, emits its version message.

>3/ When in Xwindows I ran 'xvidtune' it said that the program can damage the
>video permanently, so I was quite cautious and just use 'wider' to adjust my
>video and then apply and luckily got no damage. Which parameter can cause the
>video to be damaged (want to know so I do not touch it) and does somebody know
>how to make all changes applied to the next session, as when I reboot into
>FreeBSD then I have to do all again.

No one parameter will necessarily damage your system, rather an unfortunate
combination of numbers, possibly but not necessarily related to last week's
lottery numbers, may cause damage.  The nature of the progression to damage
is such that before damage itself is likely to occur, your monitor will
normally cease to display anything meaningful, and thus your ability to
press the buttons to increase the likelihood of damage is greatly hampered.

This is truly a wonderful safety feature 8)

If one presses the "show" button, the xvidtune program will emit a modeline
suitable for insertion in your XF86Config file.  Consult the documentation
for XF86Config and xvidtune for further enlightenment.

> Binh Do

]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile) 041-122-496        [[
]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[