Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 1996 21:48:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Timothy Moore <moore@WOLFENET.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fdisk questions

On Sun, 27 Oct 1996, Timothy Moore wrote:

> So, I went ahead and decided to take the fdisk and disklabel approach
> to setting up my new drive.  I've got a couple of questions about what
> happened... Bear with me, I'm a DOS novice.

How big a drive is this?

> 1)  The geometry of the disk as reported by fdisk is:
> cylinders=3956 heads=19 sectors/track=111 (2109 blks/cyl)
>
> I set up one partition, partition 0.  fdisk displayed the results as:
> sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
>     start 1, size 8343203 (4073 Meg), flag 0
>         beg: cyl 0/ sector 2/ head 0;
>         end: cyl 883/ sector 47/ head 18
>
> I'm somewhat surprised at the cylinder number.  Is it due to some DOS
> limitation?

> 2) I ran fdisk again on the disk after editing it.  Now it reports the
> geometry as cylinders=9393 heads=19 sectors/track=47 (893 blks/cyl).
> Is that to be expected?

They are equivalent.

Unless you're making this drive DOS readable, you can completely forget
the fdisk step if it's driving you nuts.  Mail me directly and I'll send
over the (long) instruction mail that was sent out a couple of weeks ago.
I just might SGML-ize it for posterity.