Date:      Fri, 26 Jun 1998 07:57:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@unix.tfs.net>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: schg flags in the source/object tree... bullsh**!

In reply:
> > what was the compelling idea behind all of the schg flags in /usr/obj?
>
> I never thought of it as a compelling idea so much as a "gee, we can
> fix the host interdependency problem by setting DESTDIR to point
> elsewhere for the first pass" sort of idea.  Since the install rules
> for everything deal with immutability on the targets, things in
> /usr/obj become immutable as a consequence.  "Fixing" this would also
> probably require more grossness in the installation targets than the
> problem warrants.

where is DESTDIR documented?

hmmm..  du shows:

154902	./usr/obj

this is unacceptable.  as you recall from my previous posting:

/dev/wd0s2h         848855   200152   580795    26%    /usr

that would be a excessive chunk of a small filesystem, still at a
minimal post-install state currently, but with plans for use.

the whole idea here is to take advantage of ample space on the main
server to store the common hierarchy and deal with it via nfs.

could NOOBJDIR be what i'm looking for?  or would that still cause the
problem.  short of using identical build configurations, and merely
doing two installworlds, we need a documented solution for this, and
at the same time keep the objects nfs mounted and buildworld sane from
the target's point of view.  if i'm missing something here, please
point me in the right direction.

gotta ask this, how many people actually require fix for the
interdependancy problem?  i would think that a more probable config
would be what i am doing, not everyone has an unlimited budget for
drives, networks are cheap tho.

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you    |  "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid  |  briefed, debriefed, indexed, or