Date:      Wed, 09 Oct 2002 22:12:41 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net>, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Scheduler patch, ready for commit.

"Bruce A. Mah" wrote:

> If memory serves me right, Jeff Roberson wrote:
> > On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> >

> > > well, you said you posted it just to get feedback, and now in 24 hours
> > > you declare it "ready for commit". A bit rushing, aren't you!
> >
> > Perhaps I wasn't clear.  I was looking for an indication of whether or not
> > this was something people were interested in having in for 5.0.  I'm not
> > going to rush the commit but by declaring it to be of a sufficient quality
> > for commiting I was hoping to scare more poeple into reviewing it. ;-)
>
> Let me just briefly don my RE team member hat and say that for right
> now, I'm much more interested in seeing commits to make CURRENT more
> stable, rather than seeing people add lots of new functionality.
> Remember that we're targeting a release in less than two months.  It's
> not going to be possible to make CURRENT perfect by then, but we need to
> avoid making this process more complicated by adding loads of new
> features, especially in the area of something as fundamental as the
> scheduler.

To answer your concerns.. What Jeff is doing is trying to neatly
encapsulate the existing scheduler into one place with a well defined
interface and hooks to the rest of the kernel.  As long as this is done
right, it is a NOP change.. but with an important difference.  It then
allows optional drop-in replacements to be worked on independently.

I personally think it is worth it since the potential gains are so great -
as long as as this step is done carefully and doesn't change the existing
policy and strategies.  And that just happens to be what Jeff is trying to
do.

Cheers,
-Peter