Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 1999 10:27:03 -0300
From:      "Roger" <shadow@net-ten.com.br>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <marko@uk.radan.com>
Subject:   Re: About KDE 1.1

----- Original Message -----
From: Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To: Roger <shadow@net-ten.com.br>
Cc: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Sábado, 22 de Maio de 1999 07:47

Hi, there!

> On Fri, May 21, 1999 at 08:08:14PM -0300, Roger wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Eveytime I click on the CD Player button in the KDE,  it runs the
program but only a few seconds after closes suddenly,
> > so that I cannot test my CD-ROM.
> >

> What is your CD-ROM device? kscd uses /dev/matcd0 as it's default
> CD device (the *proprietry* Panasonic/Matsushita interface!). If
> you don't have one it core dumps.

----------------
I have an IDE ATAPI CD-ROM which, during the boot, is recognized as
/dev/acd0c

So, I created a symbolic link to the raw device rmatcd0c, that is:

# cd /dev
# ln -s acd0c rmatcd0c

When I type the command 'kscd' on the prompt (using the Terminal or even the
Konsole),
a window appears:

' Enter the local CDDB base Directory'

and it shows a path:

/usr/local/share/apps/kscd/cddb

There are 2 buttons in this Window: 'OK' and  'Cancel'

If I choose 'OK', an error message will happen:

QDir:: readDirEntries: Cannot read the directory:
/usr/local/share/apps/kscd/cddb
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Otherwise, if 'Cancel' is chosen, the window closes and only the CD Player
window remains, but with a message on it:

'No matching CDDB entry found'

The tracking list is similar to
01: <Unknown>
02: <Unknown>
03: <Unknown.
etc

Of course, the kscd does not play...

I take a look at /usr/local/share/apps/kscd/cddb, but the only thing
I found was a subdirectory called 'pics' with 2 .xpm files. And that was
all.

How could I fix it?

Obs: I use also Red Hat 5.1 with KDE 1.1 and the kscd works fine.

[]'s
Roger

> You can override this, but it's a catch 22. You need an entry in
> ksdrc, but that is empty until you run kscd for the first time.
>
> The file is ~/.kde/share/config/kscdrc and the entry you need is:
>
>     [General]
>     CDDevice=/dev/cd0c
>
> Note that you need the section heading ([General]). If this doesn't
> work (it did with KDE 1.0) then just ``rm /dev/matcd0'' and make
> it a symlink to your real CD device. Someone mentioned a while ago
> that they needed to use the raw device (rmatcd0 and rcd0 or whatever
> is correct for your CD). Maybe this is a difference between v1.0
> and v1.1?
>
> In 1.0 there was also a problem with CDDB (the track list database).
> This is an email I found in one of the KDE mailing lists detailing
> it, maybe it's fixed in 1.1 though:
>

> List:     kde
> Subject:  Re: What's up w/ CDDB?
> From:     Bruce Tenison <btenison@dibbs.net>
> Date:     1998-09-09 0:48:24
> [Download message body RAW]
>
> Check out the patches in the bug list area.  I've posted a couple of
patches
> in the descriptions to the source to fix the problems I was having.  The
first
> one changes a string in cddb.cpp (around line 276 and another around line
> 519) from Kscd to kscd (change in capitalization).  For some reason, the
CDDB