Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 1997 16:32:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        Petri Helenius <pete@sms.fi>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: socket buffers

On a slightly unrelated note, I have a 2.1.7 machine running erpcd for 4
Xylogics Remote Annexes.  After installing their latest software
(R3.1/R11.2) I see that now it is using TCP rather than UDP, which is
fine with me, I guess, but ever since that, a netstat -m shows 66% of
mbufs used, which seems rather high.  Right now that is the only thing
this box is doing, but later this week, it will be a mail hub, primary
DNS, a POP server, and doing some light NFS exports.  I fear that that
number reported in netstat -m will go high enough to cause trouble...

What is the recommended way of increasing mbufs, and what is a good
starting point?  Are there any other variables that should change as well?

Thanks,

Charles