Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 2014 23:59:02 +0100
From:      Kai Wang <kaiw@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mark Johnston <markj@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>, Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: merged llvm/clang 3.4

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 11:03:11PM -0400, Mark Johnston wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 6:32 PM, Dimitry Andric <dim@freebsd.org> wrote:

> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> DTrace seems to no longer work properly on stable/10; I get errors like
> >> the following
> >>
> >> dtrace: invalid probe specifier pid$target::malloc:entry{ }:
> >> "/usr/lib/dtrace/io.d", line 49: cannot find type: struct devstat*: Type
> >> information is in parent and unavailable
> >>
> >> and I know of a couple other users running into the same problem.
> >>
> >> I recall that some changes to libdwarf, libelf and the CTF tools were needed
> >> in order to work with clang 3.4; do you know if there's any plan to MFC them
> >> soon as well?
> >
> > I have taken a look, but libdwarf and libelf were reorganized quite a
> > bit, and it would require library bumps, which are difficult (but
> > apparently not unheard of) for stable branches.  I am also not sure if
> > the actual workarounds can be successfully ported back to the versions
> > of libdwarf, libelf and CTF in stable/10 and stable/9.
>
> Is there any reason that the newer libdwarf and libelf couldn't
> coexist alongside libdwarf and libelf in stable/9 and 10? That is,
> install them to /usr/lib/private or so and have the CTF tools link
> against them instead of the system libraries.

Hi,

I extracted a patch for ctfconvert from -head and adapted it to the
old libdwarf in stable/10. The patch fixes some type parsing bugs for
ctfconvert with Clang 3.4 objects, which might be related to your
DTrace issue, but I'm not sure...

The patch is here:

   http://people.freebsd.org/~kaiw/ctfconvert-stable10.patch

(It should apply to stable/10. Both world and kernel needs recompile)

Thanks,
Kai