Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 12:46:06 +1030 (CST)
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pre-alpha JDK 1.2.2 patches -- issues

> > > The problem with 2.2.8 is that the compiler can't handle the stock Java
> > > sources.  Not sure if this is a problem that's worth spending alot of
> > > time on (although my main development box is still running 2.2.8, so
> > > we'll see.)
> >
> > How about installing gcc 2.95.2 (I believe there is still some support for
> > FreeBSD-a.out in its source) on such a box?  Thats the only way around it
> > I can think of at the moment.
>
> Been there.  I ended up with a bunch of __virtual_bletch errors.

Thats not a good sign...

In some ways, with the ports tree no longer actively supporting 2.2.8, this
will end up being low priority I think.

> > Right.  I don't believe that source code patches are available from
> > Blackdown at the moment though :(.  I'm really hoping there will be some
> > in the future though, as they would be most helpful.
>
> Sun just released the entire blackdown build as SCSL today/yesterday.  I
> downloaded it earlier.  Check out the Early Release section on JD
> Connection.

Great!  That should be a big help (well, hopefully :).  I'll grab that as
soon as I get a chance.  Thanks :).

> > Perhaps we could include shujit or TYA as a default JIT?  I'm not sure if
> > either of their licenses allow this or how well they work with the code,
> > but I think its worth looking into.
>
> It might not be 'legal' to do so though.  We can make it an easy
> addition, but I don't think we can bundle it as part of the tarballs.
> One could argue that we're distributing a modified version, and that may
> lead to legal trouble.

Good point.  Not the time to get offside with Sun I think.  Making it an
easy add on is a good idea too.  We could conceivably put a message in the
port installation about how you'll have sucky performance unless you
install one of these JIT compilers.

> > > I don't know what this is.
> >
> > I think I'm going to email the Blackdown folk and see if I can't find out :).
>
> Great, keep us informed.

Did a bit of sleuthing before I decided to mail.  Its loaded by
java.awt.color.CMM.java, which is the "Color Management Module".

Still doesn't tell me particularly what it does, but its a start ;).
You won't find anything about this class in the JDK 1.2 documentation
since it has precisely zero javadoc comments.

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 5083