Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 11:46:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
Cc:        Hallam Oaks <mlnn4@oaks.com.au>, "hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Multi-terabyte disk farm

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Karl Denninger wrote:
> I love the CMD RAID controllers.

They do have nice features yes, but David Greenman posted a bit about
their limited number of tags (64).  Unless CMD has fixed this, these
arrays would be fairly useless in a performance system.

Granted, they are priced right and if you don't mind not being able to max
out your drives, go for it.

With fewer tags supported, I'd have no problems putting more drives on
each chain, which would make them an even higher density solution.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | 78 280Z | 75 164E | 84 245DL | FreeBSD/NetBSD/Sprite/VMS |
| winter@jurai.net |      This Space For Rent     | ix86,sparc,m68k,pmax,vax  |