Date:      Mon, 8 Nov 1999 20:19:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        wjm@gate.net (William Melanson)
Cc:        sl@zeus.dnt.md (slava revutchi), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: shell's exit status variable

William Melanson wrote,
> On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, slava revutchi wrote:
>
> %
> % Hello,
> %
> % How do I check the shell's exit status variable?
> %
> % Thanks.
> % slava
> %
>
> I know within the bash shell it would be as such:
>
> >[script]; echo $?
>
> The "$?" varaible prints the exit status of the last command run.
> Either a "1" or "0".

Actually I believe the return can be any int value. Many commands exit
with different non-zero values depending on what type error was
generated. Two quick examples,

% man dump
     Dump exits with zero status on success.  Startup errors are indicated
     with an exit code of 1; abnormal termination is indicated with an exit
     code of 3.
% man grep
       Normally, exit status is 0 if matches were found, and 1 if
       no  matches  were found.  (The -v option inverts the sense
       of the exit status.)  Exit status is 2 if there were  syn-
       tax  errors  in  the pattern, inaccessible input files, or
       other system errors.

However, '0' is the accepted value for "success," non-zero is
"failure."