Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 16:19:57 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        gkaplan <gkaplan@castle.net>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: kermit

This sounds like either you're talking to Compuserve (or
similar) and need to ``set parity even'', or maybe your modem is
doing software flow control (and ppp isn't).

If you got as far as running ppp (and saw hdlc errors), this
indicates that it's a flow control thing.  Make sure you switch your
modem to hardware flow control and things should work.  Also, check
for your ISP sending a non-zero ACCMAP (enable LCP logging).  If they
are, make sure that you've got a recent enough version of ppp to
reciprocate (with a similar ACCMAP).  If you haven't, you must set
the accmap manually in ppp.conf.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org> <brian@FreeBSD.org> <brian@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;