Date:      Sat, 5 Feb 2000 11:13:40 -0700 (MST)
From:      "brian j. peterson" <rbw@myplace.org>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a little help with Compaq Fortran

On Sat, 5 Feb 2000, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

<<<snip>>>
# As an aside, linux/alpha emulation is more challenging than you might
# think.  This has more to do with the disgusting, hackish nature of
# linux than any fault (eg 32-bit-ism) of our linux-emu.  Linux uses
# different syscall numbers & different flags for syscall args on
# different ports.  Many system calls even behave differently.  Little
# things like pipe are totally different between the x86 & the alpha.  I
# realize they did this when they bootstrapped of of osf/1, but they
# really should have reverted to their native numbers/flags.  Its really
# quite a mess..

precisely why i am sticking with FreeBSD.  =)

anyway, do you think it would be easier to get Compaq to port their
Fortran compiler to FreeBSD/alpha instead?  they have those alphas running
FreeBSD in their testdrive program, so it would seem to me that they
already have (token?) support for FreeBSD/alpha.  why not nudge them to
support it more?

-brian