Date:      Thu, 9 Jul 1998 09:56:36 -0400
From:      sbabkin@dcn.att.com
To:        mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: NIC drivers

It worked fine for me in '95-'97 in my machine at work. Yes, it
occasionally loses
packets under high load but it's still faster than NE2000 (although I
agree
that the card is somewhat pathological). It can easily
handle FTP at full Ethernet speed (1.1MB/s) in an old 486.
Although I don't know about the current state of the driver. There was a
period
(early '95) when packet loss led to the hang of the card and that's the
reason
why it was marked as "buggy" in LINT at that time. This was fixed but
this
comment just was not cleaned up. There was the same problem somewhere
in '96 when David Greenman had changed the way the watchdog routines
are called for network drivers, but after this driver was changed
according to
the new way it worked again.

-SB