Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 14:41:06 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Fred Clift <fclift@verio.net>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@mass.osd.bsdi.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Really odd "BTX halted" problem booting FreeBSD on VALinux hardware

If you do a hexdump on boot0 and the first sector of your disk, you'll see
that boot0 has been copied onto your disk, broken partition table and
all.  If you then run fdisk on the disk and put in the 'right' number of
sectors and let it automatically recalculate everything else, you'll get a
decent fdisk table back.

disklabel -B, in my opinion should either A) leave the partition table
alone (even though it's part of the first sector too) or B) look at the
freebsd label and automagically calculate what the values should be and
put them in (as does fdisk -u when you 'Supply a decimal value for "size"'
and dont explicitly calculate anything else, letting it calculate it for
you.

> 	disklabel -B da0
> 	disklabel -B da1
>
> 	fdisk da0
> The data for partition 4 is:
> sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
>     start 0, size 50000 (24 Meg), flag 80 (active)
>         beg: cyl 0/ sector 1/ head 0;
>         end: cyl 1023/ sector 63/ head 255

Fred

--
Fred Clift - fclift@verio.net -- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.