Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 21:34:35 +1100 (EST)
From:      Andy Newman <andy@zeta.org.au>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Andy Newman <atrn@zeta.org.au>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL issues (Was: More important Windows Refund Day coverage)

(Having re-read the GPL and thinking more I probably agree with
everything Brett and John say however I must defend my earlier POV :)

On 21 Feb, Brett Glass wrote:
> Not so. Copyleft PRETENDS to rely upon the notion of intellectual
> property but actually twists it so that everyone who subscribes
> to the notion of IP is shafted. This includes the developer who
> thinks that, under the GPL, he retains some control of his code.

I definitely agree with the point about IP. The GPL destroys the idea
of intellectual property by a) forcing publication with no real right
of monetary gain and consequently destroying the ability to use trade
secrets to protect that IP, and, (b) explicitly disallows patent
protection of the IP. However there are (at least) two objects involved,
the IP itself and the actual expression of that IP. The expression has a
simple amount of copyright in that the author(s) still "own" the
expression - not that they have much control over it thanks to the
other factors of the GPL as you correctly point out.

> Not so. The purpose of the GPL is to destroy businesses, markets,
> and livelihoods, while duping developers into believing that it
> somehow protects their interests.

It destroys the IP business at least. You can derive some value
though. The support business of course (as the GPL fans like to
stress) - they'll be in a mess if someone can argue that knowledge of
the structure of, say, gcc is derived from gcc and covered by the GPL.

[GPL & communism]
> Actually, the similarity is very great.

Definitely closer than I first thought with the "effectively worthless"
ownership. There are other ways though...

> Nope, because the "ownership" is token and valueless.

Pretty much. There is the ability, a la Alladin, to work with the GPL
and still derive benefits of ownership (and yes I know about the version
differences). It may not be a good model but is certainly exists. And
some one is making money out of it.

> Under the GPL, copyright doesn't protect you either. In fact, it works
> against you; hence "Copyleft."

Yes. On closer inspection it does. I don't have a huge problem with it
though. As long as I don't want to use the code in ways that forces the
GPL on things I don't want it to. It's happened at times, and will
probably happen again. I work for a company that pushes IP (Canon) and
we often have to avoid GPL'd things in our work. But we have also used
and modified GPL'd things and had to make code available, quite happily
BTW. You just need to be extremely careful what you do with the GPL'd
code.

Yes it does suck as a license if you want to freely use the code. You
can't. Most people don't comprehend it - I'd never thought about it
much, basically ignored it (and avoided using GPL code in work).