Date:      Tue, 14 May 2002 17:18:18 -0400 (CLT)
From:      Roberto de Iriarte <roberto@spock.cl>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Alpha CPU Performance vs i386

On Tue, 14 May 2002, Gorm Jorgensen wrote:

> I can't seem to find any specs on how an Alpha 500 MHz is performing vs an
> Intel 500MHz.
>
> Is Alpha faster, slower or generally the same ?

It depends. alphas are much faster on fp, and perhaps slower on int code,
BUT alphas tend to have higher bandwith than PC's, and this might
outweight int code performance disadvantages.

> This is difficult I know, cause Intel has Pentium II, III and other sorts -
> but just some generally hint might help me.
>
> I'm just curious to find out if my Miata 500au is better than my Dual PPro
> 200 MHz.

I used to run an AS2100A 5/375 side to side to an old SMP PPro 200/512K by
Dec. I found the PC to be, as a whole, slower than the Alpha, especcialy
on FP intensive code, but also on completely int code like postgreSQL, the
respose times where twice as fast on the alpha, (Same amount of RAM, same
database, same load = nil, same query). If you have both, use them!

Just waiting for a good deal on a DS20

Good luck
Regards
Roberto