Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 13:30:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      "K. Marsh" <durang@u.washington.edu>
To:        David Boykin <boykin@bellatlantic.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Modem Installation (was: Question... please respond ASAP.)

I'll take a stab at this one...

On Sun, 10 Jan 1999, David Boykin wrote:

> Dear Sir,

We aren't "Sirs" David, just some people who use FreeBSD and read about
other's computer problems.  I might also add that several of the readers
are "Madams".  Any, it's good to be polite, so you're on the right track.

One more suggestion is to put a subject in the line of the message that
says "Subject".  "Question" is not really a subject, because 50% of the
messages sent to the list are questions.  The rest of the subject line
refers to your preference in timing of a response.  If you really want a
fast response, you should use a Subject like "How to install via modem?"
 The reason for this is that few of us have time to read every message,
and we'll choose which ones to read and which to delete based on the
subject.

So, getting on to your problem:

> 	I am a first time installer of FreeBSD. I recently downloaded your boot
> disk and started to install it. I wound up to the point where I needed to
> give information on my network which I don't have. I run through a service
> provider ( Bellatlantic.net) and wondered how I download the files through
> the modem.. and after I install the program will I be able to connect to
> Bellatlantic to run the server.. This will be used to run websites.

How to do this is described in the FreeBSD handbook.  See
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook17.html#17.  If you are missing
information about your modem or ISP, then you get it from your modem
manual or by calling your ISP and asking them.  However, may I suggest a
couple of alternatives:

1) buy the CD-ROM from Walnut Creek CD-ROM - http://www.cdrom.com.  This
will give you all of the FreeBSD stuff you could ever ask for, including
over 2,000 programs.  It's so much it comes on FOUR CD's.  Not bad for
$40.  This is also the main source of income for the project, so you'll be
supporting a good cause.  If you can't afford it, see #2

2) Install from a DOS partition (assuming you have one), because it
requires much less skill and knowledge of FreeBSD.

Before you install or download anything, however, I would give the
handbook a very good read:

	http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/

FreeBSD is not a toy OS, like Windows95.  It's power comes with a degree
of complexity.  Do your homework, and it'll repay you many times over.

  Kenneth J. Marsh             University of Washington
  durang@u.washington.edu        Chemical Engineering