Date:      Fri, 5 Jul 2002 19:33:01 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Freebsd/powerpc page updated

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 12:04:57PM +0300, Alexey Zelkin wrote:
> IIRC main direction of FreeBSD/ppc port was a powerpc chips support to
> get embedded devices in line. I don't recall actual targeting to
> compete with Apple and its MacOS X as desktop/server system for powerpc
> based computers.

This is correct.  However for the PowerPC bits to be useful for embedded
people to use, we need to keep them working.  Also building
cross-toolchains, etc can be a pain.  So is tracking down ever PowerPC
embedded board -- WindRiver's VxWorks has seperate board-specific code
for probably 15 different boards.  This is really more than FreeBSD can
do (IMHO).

So the idea was to provide a working FreeBSD/PowerPC on a reference
platform -- which provides a toolkit for embedded application developers
to base on.  The most consumer workstation-like PowerPC machine is of
course the Mac G3/G4.  That is why it is targeted.