Date:      Thu, 1 Mar 2001 16:27:53 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD sources from 20000'

On Thu 2001-03-01 (14:00), Nik Clayton wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 01:36:49PM +0200, Mark Murray wrote:
> > There was a pretty good response to my initial probe a few days
> > ago, so the time comes by to revive the discussion, and to slowly
> > begin on the path to an actual solution.
>
> What can we learn from other projects?
>
> In particular, the Debian apt/dpkg system seems to get high praise from
> all comers.

In addition, libdpkg version 2 is going to be LGPL.  I think this is a
great opportunity; I've got dpkg and apt to work on FreeBSD before, and
even installed nawk via it, and ran it fine.  Of course, it did put it
in /usr/bin.

Personally, I'd prefer to work with the Debian people in this area, as
they seem to have the most clue, and the best reputation.  An LGPL'd
library should be sufficient for most comers in my opinion, and it has
callback capability to extend to whatever actual format we wish to use.

I'm sure if we seriously asked about libapt, they'd go for LGPL, and
then we can help them out by having a real live secondary implementation
of what is possibly the best package version graph implementation to
date (available in usable source format).  The more generic the backend
gets, the less LGPL code we're relying on, and if anyone does indeed
wish to provide a BSD-licensed version, it should be easy to implement.

LGPL will mean that any changes we make to the library itself will have
to be made available (or simply a pointer to an ftp site), but the
callback mechanisms should allow extensibility for a BSD-licensed
package backend, and BSD-licensed package fetchers, and so forth.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
nbm@mithrandr.moria.org