Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 09:49:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        grant@thenetnow.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dscheck, negative b_blkno, Hard Drive Panic?

> Good Morning all,
>
> I have been setting up a some cronjobs this week to do dumps. Currently my
> server is partitioned as such:
>
> Filesystem      Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/amrd0s1h   7.6G   2.5G   4.5G    36%    /home
> ,,,
> /dev/amrd0s1d   3.8G   576M   2.9G    16%    /backup
>
> I am dumping "/var", "/usr", "/", and "/home" each Monday starting at 0200.
> They are being dumped into /home/bacup. (I then FTP them to a different
> local box).
>
> This morning I seen this in the logs, and, the dump was unsuccessfull.
>
>  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Mon Oct 28 02:20:03 2002
>   DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
>   DUMP: Dumping /dev/amrd0s1h (/home) to /home/backup/home.full_dump
>   DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
>   DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
>   DUMP: estimated 2731756 tape blocks.
>   DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
>   DUMP: dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]
>   DUMP: 24.99% done, finished in 0:15
>   DUMP: 47.07% done, finished in 0:11
>   DUMP:   DUMP: read error from /dev/amrd0s1h: Invalid argument:
> [block -835969890]: count=4096
> read error from /dev/amrd0s1h: Invalid argument: [block -835969882]:
> count=4096
>   DUMP:   DUMP: read error from /dev/amrd0s1h: Invalid   DUMP:   DUMP: read
> error from /dev/amrd0s1h: Invalid argument: [block -2055499334]: count=6144
> read error from /dev/amrd0s1h: Invalid argument: [sector -1982468763]:
> count=512
> argument: [sector -835969890]: count=512

I am not sure why it ways 'invalid argument' here, but it looks to me
like this is a disk read error.  COuld be something was written in error
on the file or it could be that you are developing a bad spot on the disk.
My response to seeing disk errors is to assume the disk is going bad and
replace it at the earliest point possible.

By the way, you might have included the dump command you are using
and maybe the cron entry, and relevant portion of script.  It might
help.

> DUMP: fopen on /dev/tty fails: Device not configured
>   DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.

I don't know why this is except maybe it was trying write a message.
Do you have errors redirected somewhere?   This one is for someone
else to thing about.

> and in my/var/log/messages and dmesg logs I get:
>
> dscheck(#amrd/0x20007): negative b_blkno -1982468757

Hmmm.   This I don't recognize.  Is the block count overflowing?

////jerry