Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 1995 18:03:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>
To:        "Alan D. Trombla" <alan@trickler.uu.silcom.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade - CPU, clock?

On Thu, 14 Dec 1995, Alan D. Trombla wrote:

> 1.  What is the fastest chip I can plop into my ZIF socket with no other
> changes?

You can put in a 486DX4/100, since this chip *really* is a DX3/99 (but
Intel thought that DX4/100 sounded nicer), and that means the outside
interface to the bus runs at 33MHz, which is what your system is running
at now.

The DX4/100's are **nice** CPU's -- I have one in my machine.  Great
performance under FreeBSD and other OS's (DOS/Windows/etc.).  And you don't
have to go Intel either.  The AMD DX4/100 sitting in my machine is very
nice, and works beautifully with FreeBSD.

> 2.  Can I just change the crystal to get a 50MHz system?  If so, will
> my ATI GUP handle the faster bus?  (There are no other VLB boards.)
> Is my memory (assuming it *is* 70ns) fast enough?

This *may* or *may not* work.  I tend to lean toward the *may not* side.
Overclocking Intel CPU's is spotty, and sometimes they seem to work, only
to crap out on you when your system's been running for X minutes/hours.
If you try, a heat sink and/or CPU fan is **DEFINITELY REQUIRED**.  I
once overclocked my DX2/66 to 40 MHz (making it a DX2/80) but the system
wouldn't work because my memory wasn't fast enough (for a 40 MHz bus, you
need 60ns SIMMs... I had 70ns).

> 3.  Does it make more sense to get a PCI mother board?

This is up to you.  If you do, mind you, you'll have to reinvest a lot of
money in peripherals (SCSI and/or IDE controllers, video, etc.).  I have
seen some weird PCI/VLB hybrids, but they are usually quite rare and
quite expensive.  If you want to leave your upgrade path open to a
Pentium later, though, I would recommend it.

Donald Burr [d_burr@ix.netcom.com], PO Box 91212, Santa Barbara CA 93190-1212
TEL (805)564-1871 / FAX 564-2315 / WWW http://www.geopages.com/WallStreet/2072
PGP Public Key available by request (send e-mail) or on Public Key Servers.
** Uphold your right to privacy - Use PGP. **