Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 10:49:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tony Holmes <tholmes@zeus.leitch.com>
To:        nik@iii.co.uk
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DEVFS/SLICE and SOFT UPDATE patches.

>   b) Speculatively put a '/' on the end and try again.
>
> I don't think any web servers currently do (b), but I wouldn't stake my
> life on it.

Since the FreeBSD group wisely chose Apache, and if they are using a newer
version (or even a slightly older one), there is a nice way to cover over
the "brain-damaged" browsers ignorance and make things happily work using
the rewrite module.

The following two lines in the configuration file (after turning on the
rewrite engine, etc.) will check to see if the request is a directory and
append a trailing / if it is.  You would need to check if the trailing / is
missing in the first place as a precondition (this is ripped outta my
config and I'm too tired to think through that part of the solution atm)

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME}         -d
RewriteRule ^(.*)$              $1/ [L]

						Tony