Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 1995 18:00:23 -0800
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        root@aries.fb3.noaa.gov
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gcc for freebsd?

 * Sorry to bother you -

No problem -

 * Gcc is conspicuous by it's absence from your "ported" lists.  Is it not
 * portable to freebsd?

Actually the opposite, gcc-2.6.3 is already in the main source tree, i.e.,
FreeBSD's /usr/bin/cc is gcc, so there is no reason to put another one
in the ports tree. :)  gcc-2.7.x is not imported yet, due to stability
concerns, and it will come in as soon as we think it's stable enough.

 * 			 If it isn't, then how did you get gnu f77 working?
 * I thought g77 relied on gcc as it's back end!  Also, I noticed the text
 * associated with bcc - "can do 16-bit code".  Is freebsd a 16-bit OS?

No, it's a full 32-bit OS.  I believe the thing about bcc is that you
can use it to generate programs that can run on 16-bit OS's (like
DOpeS) if you do something clever.

Satoshi