Date:      Sat, 18 May 2002 09:59:45 -0700
From:      bmah@FreeBSD.ORG (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Robin.Melville@nadt.org.uk
Cc:        www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: message removal?

If memory serves me right, Robin.Melville@nadt.org.uk wrote:

> On Wed, Wed, 28 Mar 2001 16:32:20 +0100 I inadvisably posted a
> message to freebsd-database about a freelance programmer we needed at
> the time. It's in your archive as 20010401.freebsd-database.html.
>
> Naturally this has propagated & is visible on the search engines and
> consequently I'm still getting dozens of resumes sent to me each
> month. This gets worse when the Indian universities get near to
> graduating when I get hundreds.
>
> In order to save everybody's time I wondered if this message could be
> expunged? It doesn't really add to the sum of human knowledge and
> wouldn't really be missed if it disappeared forever...

Hmmm.  I'm not really the best person to answer this, but I'd guess
that even if somebody deleted this message from the mailing list
archive, it's probably been replicated to a bunch of other places on
the Net anyways.  (Think of Google, which caches pages that it's
crawled.)  So to speak, the genie is already out of the bottle and
putting the stopper back probably won't help very much.

Bruce.