Date:      Thu, 30 Jun 2011 09:37:11 +0530
From:      Manish Jain <invalid.pointer@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PID 11 using 400% CPU

   Hello All,
   I have a strange problem with my 8.1 box. After booting, the hard disk
   goes into a full-speed never-ending spin. 'ps waux' always shows pid
   11 as taking 400% CPU utilization :
   /root # ps -up 11
   USER   PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ   RSS  TT  STAT STARTED      TIME COMMAND
   root    11 400.0  0.0     0    32  ??  RL    7:22PM 166:35.46 [idle]
   I have tried multiple tweaks to resolve this - all to no effect. The
   only thing that seems out of place is that polkitd seems to be
   missing. (I have no idea why this is the case). /etc/rc.conf states
   polkitd_enable="YES".
   This happens even in single-user mode, which I used to try to fix any
   filesystem errors with 'fsck -fy' : there were none.
   My system has only 2 partitions : ad8s2a (/) and ad8s2b (swap).
   Any pointers to what might the problem be ? Thanks in advance.
   Regards
   Manish Jain
   [1]invalid.pointer@gmail.com