Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 10:53:16 -0600
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        Hallam Oaks <mlnn4@oaks.com.au>, "hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Multi-terabyte disk farm

On Thu, Oct 29, 1998 at 11:46:48AM -0500, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Karl Denninger wrote:
> > I love the CMD RAID controllers.
>
> They do have nice features yes, but David Greenman posted a bit about
> their limited number of tags (64).  Unless CMD has fixed this, these
> arrays would be fairly useless in a performance system.
>
> Granted, they are priced right and if you don't mind not being able to max
> out your drives, go for it.
>
> With fewer tags supported, I'd have no problems putting more drives on
> each chain, which would make them an even higher density solution.

Hmmm... I'll look into this.  We haven't gotten tag reduction warnings on
any of our NFS fileservers using these, nor on our INN machine (which uses
them in RAID 0+1 config).

Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net) http://www.mcs.net/~karl
I ain't even *authorized* to speak for anyone other than myself, so give
up now on trying to associate my words with any particular organization.