Date:      Tue, 09 Nov 1999 01:16:35 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        smallone@newbridge.com (Scott Mallonee)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Download question

On 8 Nov 1999 19:14:11 -0500, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you wrote:

>Dear FreeBSD,
>
>I am trying to examine BSD IP stack code to possibly use in a product we are developing.
>Can you refer me to a FAQ, tutorial, etc. that would instruct me on how to download the
>source? In looking at the FTP sites, all I see are huge, complex directory trees. Is there
>a compressed tar file somewhere that I can download and extract on my development system?
>How is complete BSD source downloaded from an FTP site? Any help you can provide would be
>greatly appreciated!

Have a look at
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/index.html

You can download just the source code from
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/3.3-RELEASE/src/

but why not do a quick network install and check out the IP stack in
action.  Its really quite quick and easy. (ftp5.freebsd.org is a fast
mirror as well)

First fetch
ftp://ftp5.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/3.3-RELEASE/floppies/kern.flp
ftp://ftp5.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/3.3-RELEASE/floppies/mfsroot.flp
ftp://ftp5.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/3.3-RELEASE/tools/fdimage.exe

With two floppies, use fdimage to create your boot floppies
fdimage kern.flp a:
fdimage mfsroot.flp a:

Boot up your PC with the floppies, and choose a network installation by
following the prompts.  The process will download everything you need
including the kernel sources.  Its really quite simple and you will have a
working system to experiment with, complete with source code.

If you want to make your life easy, a Pentium PCI system and an Intel
Etherexpress Pro 100B ethernet adaptor will make life easy along with an
empty IDE HD of about 1GIG.

If you have any more questions, just ask in questions@freebsd.org as you
did.

	---Mike

Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)