Date:      Thu, 18 May 2000 11:33:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Miller <dmiller@search.sparks.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Server Farms?

On Wed, 10 May 2000, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> Changes under src/sys/ are the ones which affect the kernel (and those
> with "RELENG_[34]" are the only ones which affect [34].x)
>
> > I'm thinking of the way many commercial OS's release patches, like bsdi.

But some of the userland stuff is tied to the kernel changes, so if there
are 50 changes in a month and three of them change something in
src/sys/somewhere I'm kind of stuck.  If I want to install all the latest
userland programs I have to relink the kernel and reboot, right?

And most of the time, once we're past the .0 releases, there aren't that
many kernel changes needed for stability or security which would
legitimately require a reboot, so rebooting monthly to just stay up with
userland patches isn't really warranted.

Not installing patches because they fix problems *I* don't have, and
trying to keep all the dependencies coherent sounds unworkable, as does
fully understanding what's changing and installing new userland worlds
believing the new kernel really isn't necessary.

Anyone see any alternatives?

Thanks,

--- David