Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 1998 18:28:37 +0300
From:      Dmitrij Tejblum <dima@tejblum.dnttm.rssi.ru>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        Nakai@Mlab.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, bde@zeta.org.au
Subject:   Re: x11/explorer build failure

Satoshi Asami wrote:

> The problem is the libraries though.  I don't think people specify
> -L/usr/local/lib to get standard system libraries from there instead
> of /usr/lib.  Maybe this could be fixed in /usr/bin/c*, say by having
> libc and libstdc always being searched in /usr/lib first?

What cc or c++ can do? They simple pass -lc or -lc -lstdc++ or whatever even
more complex to the linker. It is area of ld(1) to search for libraries. May
be, ld should search in /usr/lib first? Unlikely. And then egcs will unable to
find its own libstdc++.

> Or of course we can move libstdc.a from egcs to a subdirectory.  How
> does egcs find it anyway, does it link with an implicit
> -L/usr/local/lib or will it pick up the one in /usr/lib if the user
> doesn't specify any -L flags?

Apparently, it link with an implicit -L/usr/local/lib. And this path is
hardcoded somewhere (in specs?). (Long long time ago I upgraded my
2.2-960801-SNAP with locally installed gcc 2.7.2.1 to 2.2 GAMMA with
shipped gcc 2.7.2.1 and found all my Makefiles broken --- they didn't
mentioned -L/usr/local/lib :)

EGCS people suggest that egcs should be configured with
--prefix=/usr/local/egcs, and after install user make symlinks
/usr/local/bin/egcs-gcc -> /usr/local/egcs/bin/gcc, and so on. This way one
can easy install both egcs and gcc-2.8 from FSF, for example. GCC 2.8 is in
ports too, so it may be really good idea. And without hackering with their
build system.

Dima