Date:      17 May 1996 00:14:30 +0200
From:      Peter Mutsaers <plm@simplex.nl>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: internal compiler error

>> On Thu, 16 May 1996 08:30:03 -0600, Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
>> said:

  >> causes an internal compiler error running gcc 2.7.2 on FreeBSD 2.2-stable.

  NW> Hmm, it works fine under -stable with 2.6.3.

  NW> #cheap shot on#
  NW> This is one of the reasons why we stick w/older versions of GCC. :)
  NW> #cheap shot off#

But the newer versions are quite a bit faster. I used to use Linux
until recently and it uses 2.7.2 for everything, so it must be
possible for FreeBSD too. It is a pity to ignore such easy performance
gain.

Peter Mutsaers       |  Abcoude (Utrecht), |     "Quod licet bovis,
plm@simplex.nl       |  the Netherlands    |      non licet Jovi."