Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 2002 00:44:32 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIS server status

I don't know if this is the best place to send this, but I just
encountered a problem that took a long time to diagnose.  I believe
the cause was ypserv terminating.  It was definitely gone and when I
restarted it, things worked properly again.  However, ypserv, and
ypbind, to not create a pid file.  I have a process that periodically
checks the important server pid files and makes sure the process is
still allive.  It then pages me if the process has died.  That would
be really helpful for ypserv and ypbind if they would create a pid
file once they are up and running correctly.
--
-- Doug