Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 2002 15:22:23 +0200
From:      Cejka Rudolf <cejkar@fit.vutbr.cz>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@acm.org>
Cc:        jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>, Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.ORG>, hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FYI - 4.7-RC2 / i386 is on ftp-master.

Bruce A. Mah wrote (2002/09/26):
> If memory serves me right, jason andrade wrote:
> > within 48 hours i'd expect it would be manually or automatically
> > propagated to a large number of mirrors who can also then provide
> > feedback to hubs in the initial 24 hours if they have grabbed it..

Hello,
  timezones, timezones, timezones... Just for info, it is typical
that time interval for feedback is several hours. For somebody this
interval is over the day, but for me it is over night. However it
is not a big problem, because this feedback is sufficient just from
small number of people. Just to know it.

> the Web site rebuilds.  It sounds like this isn't necessarily the case,
> and how the mirroring is set up depends on the individual mirror site
> operator.  Right?

If nothing changed and I did not miss anything, then yes. There is written
rule, that we should not use shorter interval for cvsup updates than once
per hour and it is something like the default value, so (I think that)
everybody uses one hour interval or similar for cvsup updates. However,
there is nothing similar for ftp updates. I tried to agree on some suggested
value for the reason "how often and when to start updates to be good
FreeBSD mirror" with Jordan & others, when they were release engineers,
but nobody said any value. They leaved it fully on mirror maintainers.
I use 6 hour interval, somebody uses smaller, others use bigger. If there
is somebody now, who wants to do such suggestion - not too short and not
too long, it may be perhaps benefical, because we do not have any
feedback about ftp-master load (?).

> (Putting together a snapshot sure is a learning experience!)

;-) (Thanks to all for time and work put in FreeBSD!)

--
Rudolf Cejka <cejkar at fit.vutbr.cz> http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~cejkar
Brno University of Technology, Faculty of Information Technology