Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 1998 01:13:59 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
To:        Allen Smith <easmith@beatrice.rutgers.edu>
Cc:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>, Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>, Marc Gutschner <Marc.Gutschner@triplan.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is 'xntpd' broken in -stable?

Allen Smith wrote:

> I've checked with Dave Mills on this issue, and there's an option (-x,
> which is unfortunately not in the help files) in ntpd (as opposed to
> xntpd, which is about as obsolete/nonsupported as FreeBSD-1.x)

	Posted this on another list...I disagree with your characterization as
much as I'd like to see our version of xntpd updated. The xntpd branch
is still maintained and updated, as recently as 4/27/98 for the most
recent stable version, and August 10th for the most recent beta.

The xntpd server supports version 3 of the protocol, ntpd is version 4.
The two branches are relatively equivalent to our -Stable and -Current.
At some point we should probably integrate ntp into -current, but the
last time this topic came up (about 6 months ago) someone more
knowledgeable than me was looking at both sets of sources and decided
that ntp wasn't yet ready for prime time. For a long time I had hoped
that someone would at least update to a more recent version of xntpd and
then move that into the 2.2 branch, but that dream will die with 2.2.8.
:-/  Our version of xntpd is prehistoric, and the vast numbers of bug
fixes and algorithm improvements we're missing out on boggles the mind.
And before anyone mentions it, I volunteered to make a port of the more
recent version a while back and was told that it wouldn't be committed.
If that has changed I'm still happy to do a port of the more recent
version.

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***