Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 20:47:28 +0100
From:      Frederico Costa <fpcosta@get2net.dk>
To:        ISDN-List <freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Using ipfw and NATD

Hi ...

I don't know if this is the right mailing list to put this question but
as it involves i4b i will post to this list also and if someone can help
i woul apreciate.

First i will describe my configuration.

I have three pc's at home, and i have a connection to an ISP.

This connection is made by ISDN.

And i thought the following. Well i can put FreeBsd in the small
computer and connect this to my ISP, and then build a small network and
i can surf the internet from both computers.

I have done almost everything by the book.

I have compiled the kernel with the options IPFIREWALL and IPDIVERT.

I added the natd to the /etc/services.

I enabled the gateway and the firewall through rc.conf

Then i add the use the following to connect to my ISP:

# Put isdn working
isdnd -l
papauth="myauthname=xxx myauthsecret=xxx"
spppcontrol isppp0 myauthproto=pap $papauth hisauthproto=none

ifconfig isppp0 inet 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.1 link1 debug
route add default 0.0.0.1

And then i use

natd -interface isppp0

And the rules

/sbin/ipfw -f flush
/sbin/ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via ed0
/sbin/ipfw add pass all from any to any

I think the problem is related to the fact that i am using dynamic ip's
when i connect to the ISP, so i tried the dynamic flag in the natd, but
nothing change.

I have 2.2.7 RELEASE.

If i don't use the natd and the firewall i can connect to the internet
using freebsd. And i can connect from the computers to the freebsd
through my network.

But when i use the natd and ipfw, i can't to the internet and i can't
either connect from the computers to the freebsd

Did anyone experience some problems like this. Can anyone point
directions ?