Date:      Wed, 1 Jul 1998 22:38:16 +1000 (EST)
From:      Gary Roberts <gdr@eros.che.curtin.edu.au>
To:        nik@iii.co.uk
Cc:        andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de (Andre Albsmeier), sec@yoda.pi.musin.de (Stefan Zehl), freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Staroffice 4.0 sp3 running

nik@iii.co.uk writes :-

> On Wed, Jul 01, 1998 at 10:17:03AM +0200, Andre Albsmeier wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the hint... After modyfing lib/libsal364.so as well
> > Staroffice 4.0 SP3 is running here.
> >
> > So the complete instructions are:
>
> I've been following this with some interest.
>
> I've had StarOffice 4.0 (no service pack) running on my -stable box for a
> while. The only problems I've seen with it are that it leaks shared memory
> like a sieve, resulting in unpredictable lockups.
>
> Are these fixed in SP3?

I've also been following this with considerable interest.  Because of the
reported difficulties with SP3, I actually installed SP2 about two weeks
ago.  I had it running continuously for about 4-5 days (at one stage when
I had a look with ps it has clocked up about 100 mins of CPU time) and at
no stage did it exhaust my virtual memory.  I did have some other hungry
apps like netscape running at the same time and I didn't see any lockups
at all.  I have a 100Mhz Toshiba notebook with 40Mb physical and 120Mb swap.

The only thing I got (within a minute or so of initial startup) was exactly
28 lines on the xterm from which I started it, all saying

             SalImage::Create pShmInfo_->shmid < 0 (28)

After that, nothing else unusual occurred.  I would guess that the leaks
were probably mostly plugged with SP1 :-)  (one would hope anyway).

Now that Andre has published the workaround to get SP3 running, the only
other thing I would like to see is a report from anyone using SP3 to say
if it is worthwhile going to SP3 over SP2.  Any comments, anyone??

Cheers,
--
Gary Roberts            (gdr@wcs.uq.edu.au)