Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 1995 09:03:34 +0500
From:      Jerry.Kendall@vmicls.com (Jerry Kendall)
To:        m_tanaka@pa.yokogawa.co.jp, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: samaphore remains

> From owner-freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org Wed Dec  6 07:42:37 1995

> Hi All,
>
> Currently I'm using FreeBSD-R2.1.0-RELEASE on GATEWAY 2000 P5-90.
>
> I found the trouble that if a program using semaphore died
> anbormally, the semaphore which was created remains on kernel.
> I think it should be released by kernel's exit() function.

When an app creates a semaphore, it is primarily(in my experience)
created at system startup. This semaphore is used to control access
to some facility that must be carefully accessed.

If you wish for some app to create, utilize, and remove a semaphore,
then use the 'semctl()' system call.

In my experience, semaphores are created for some multi-programed
application and created ate startup(ie: rc.local).

Jerry