Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2014 11:48:00 +0100
From:      Marcus von Appen <mva@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-python@freebsd.org
Subject:   Default PYTHON_PKGNAMEPREFIX and dropping PYTHON_PKGNAMESUFFIX

--DocE+STaALJfprDB

Dear all,

most python ports, which install into PYTHON_SITELIBDIR or PYTHON_LIBDIR
use an explicit PKGNAMEPREFIX assignment to mark the resulting packages as
related to a specific python version.
The porter's handbook also outlines that ports should stick to this practice.

I would like to force the usage of PYTHON_PKGNAMEPREFIX for ports, which use
distutils (and hence are always targeting a specific python version), by
implicitly setting PKGNAMEPREFIX=PYTHON_PKGNAMEPREFIX in bsd.python.mk. This
makes port Makefiles less error-prone and ensures that the ports stick to a
common naming scheme, when it comes to packages.

At the same time, I would like to deprecate and remove PYTHON_PKGNAMESUFFIX,
since it has no practical use or relevance other than creating an inconsistent
package naming scheme. Its original purpose (to be read in r91400) does not
hold true in my opinion, and I am explaining the reaon(s) for that (among
other things when it comes to naming python ports) at
http://www.sysfault.org/posts/freebsd-python-ports-pre-suffix.html.

If noone speaks up, I'll start with the necessary changes to the
infrastructure soon.

Cheers
Marcus

--DocE+STaALJfprDB