Date:      Sun, 19 Oct 1997 22:13:27 -0200 (EDT)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        george@eps.ufsc.br (George Tavares)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PThread

#define quoting(George Tavares)
// 	I was using pthread (libc_r) packages I like to know if this
// package is the same from MIT (MIT pthread).
// 	When I running a pthread application, I press ^C and it doesn't
// kill my application (running same program im Solaris it works). The
// signals aren't passed to application?
// 	Another think, how I know what function are MT-SAFE. I don't see
// nothing about this in the man's.
// 	Why it is not compiled in make world? Many bugs?

One professor here at UFRJ had a program with pthreads that worked
with Solaris and froze with FreeBSD.  Even ^C did not break the
running code.  Only SIGKILL could stop it.

I took a look at the program at it was simply a problem with
not initialized pointers.  Compile your code with -Wall and
see if it helps.

I think libc_r is not default because most applications do not
need it and would waste CPU for nothing.

					Jonny

PS: I really wonder how Solaris can run wrong code and do not
complain at all...  :)

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br
+55 21 290-4698				jonny@coppe.ufrj.br