Date:      Fri, 02 Nov 2001 07:39:24 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FYI: A thought on 64-bit time_t on Alpha

On 2001-Oct-30 22:57:20 -0800, Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net> wrote:
>We all seem to be of the opinion that the 64-bit archs should
>have a 64-bit time_t. The question that is unanswered at this
>time is whether this includes the Alpha.

My feeling is that Alpha should move to 64-bit time.  I realise that
it won't survive to 2038, but it is currently our reference 64-bit
platform.  Others have pointed out that the pain of porting FreeBSD to
a new 64-bit platform will be increased by having to simultaneously
manage a changed time_t size WRT i386.  This pain can be minimised if
the 32-bit dependencies have been weeded out in the Alpha.

I should add that I do use FreeBSD on the Alpha (but not for
production applications).

Peter