Date:      23 Jan 2003 18:03:28 +0000
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@yahoo.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the mythical syscons redesign document ( was Re: Porting wscons )

On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 16:37, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
>  --- Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com> ha scritto:
> > On Wednesday 22 January 2003 9:36 pm, Nicolas Souchu
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > What is called the kobj interface?
> >
> > Kobj is just the low-level method dispatch framework
> > which newbus (at
> > least newbus in 5.x) uses to call the drivers. Look
> > at the kobj(9)
> > manpage.
> >
> I understand the sound drivers already use it, and
> someday someone with lot's of spare time might start
> rewriting FreeBSD to make it more modular..something
> like SPIN OS where everything is an object.
>
> I wonder.. how far did your patches first set of
> patches for the Alpha go? ;).

The alpha stuff I did was solving a specific problem - implementing
busspace properly on multi-hose alpha hardware. On such hardware, there
isn't a single i/o port i/o memory address space. There is typically one
of each per hose (a hose is approximately a host-pci bridge).

The busspace implementation in 4.x was pretty lame and didn't scale to
the really big machines so I re-wrote it to represent each space (i/o
port or i/o memory) as an object with methods on that object to access
the space. This was wrapped in a busspace-standard api. The kobj version
was fully functional but it was never committed - we changed over to
structures of function pointers to make it possible to back-port to 4.x.
The back-porting never happened though :-(.